Braised Kabocha Squash in Soy Sauce
Recipe type: Appetiser
- Medium Kabocha squash a quarter (about 300g) *Kabocha is very dense and hard to cut.
- Sesame oil 1 tsp
- Soy sauce 1 tsp
- Mirin 1 tsp
- Toasted (black) sesame seeds 1 tsp
- Cut the Kabocha in half and take the seeds out from the half of Kabocha.
- Put the sliced side of the kabocha down then shaving some of the skin off randomly using a big knife. This is because the soy sauce flavour will absorb better without the skin and it looks prettier.
- Slice it in 1 inch thick into half a rings then cut each ring into small dice.
- Heat a saucepan with sesame oil then stir all the dices to coat the oil all over.
- Pour soy sauce and Mirin over the Kabocha and stir them well then cook in low heat for 6~10 minutes with a lid on.
- Stir the Kabocha or shake the pan half way through to make sure they don’t stick at the bottom of the pan.
- Turn the heat off when it’s almost cooked. Stir it gently then leave it with the lid on. If your Kabocha is watery, take the lid off to avoid getting too mushy. It’s good to check it with a skewer.
- Serve it hot or cold with sesame seeds as a side dish.